Being a Guardian Home for a Heartland Australian Labradoodle can be an excellent way to have a top quality dog for a family pet. We are a small breeding program dedicated to producing great companion animals. Our dogs are part of our family and live in our home and enjoy our daily life. We believe that all of our breeding dogs deserve this luxury, and so we’ve implemented our Guardian Home Program, where we place our upcoming breeders as puppies in forever homes with suitable families. The guardians have the role of “parent” while we retain ownership and breeding rights for the dog.
A Guardian family agrees to raise, train and care for a Heartland Labradoodle throughout his/her breeding career. In exchange for providing a home for one of our breeding dogs, Heartland will spay or neuter said dog when it is retired from his or her breeding career at our expense. The Guardian family has ownership and we have breeding rights.
We, as breeders pay for all veterinary costs related to breeding. Once their breeding career is under way, they come back to our home for breeding and whelping. When the dog reaches age of retirement (typically 5-6 litters) she is spayed for you, and the dog enjoys the comfort of the home it has always known. Males are generally retained for siring litters a bit longer than females, however, they don’t leave their homes for long periods of time.
Guardian Families Must:
- Live within a 100 mile radius of Iowa City, IA and No anticipated job transfers that will remove the dog beyond this area while the Guardian Agreement is in effect.
- Own a home with a fenced in yard, or have written approval of your landlord.
- Have prior experience owning, raising, and training a dog
- Primary caregiver cannot work FULL time outside the home causing the dog to be left home alone for long periods, or be able to take the dog to work.
- Attend 2 sessions of obedience classes
- Understand the issues involved with caring for an intact male or female and be willing to assume those responsibilities
- Be willing to return the dog to us as need throughout the year for various reasons, including veterinary appointments, breeding, giving birth and raising puppies. Female breeders will stay with us for approximately 8-9weeks following the birth of the litter and you are welcome to visit them and their puppies. Males are needed for shorter periods of time, typically a few days or hours for breedings.
- Be willing to communicate with us when needed regarding the general health and well being of the dog, and let us know of vacation plans and where dog will be if we need to “borrow” him/her for breeding purposes while you are unavailable.
- Be willing to accept and follow breeders recommendations for the dogs basic health care, feeding, and veterinarian care, such as vaccine schedules and the use of various medications.
If you are interested in our guardianship program, please contact us. We will ask you to fill out an application. Qualified applicants will be contacted to come and meet the dogs and discuss in further detail the available dogs, puppies, and what to expect from our wonderful guardian program.